Today’s mah birfdae!!!
To celebrate, I’m getting some new ink by an awesome artist called NOON and going out to dinner with a friend. I’ll tell you all about the restaurant and show you the latest addition to my anatomical art gallery later this week. Today, I thought I’d collect 28 of the most important things I’ve learned so far and share them with you. Here goes!
1. As embarrassing as it might be, it’s really OK to make mistakes. Everyone does it (despite what they’d have you believe).
2. Just because an animal’s cute does not mean it won’t bite the hell out of you.
3. The things that make you “weird” to your peers when you’re a kid are the things that will make you stand out as an adult.
4. Learn to cook. It’s just a good idea.
5. Trust your gut. If something makes you really uncomfortable (as in, gives you an icky feeling), don’t force it on yourself. But…
6. Take risks (as long as the odds of survival are in your favor).
7. Be kind at every opportunity without regard for how kind the other person has been or will be to you.
8. Do the things you actually WANT to do (this includes jobs). Life’s too short to spend it making everyone but yourself happy.
9. Learn to love being alone, and take advantage of it! There’s nothing like having the freedom to do what you want when you want.
10. Explore! The world, strange/interesting subjects, your cat’s ear canal; whatever.
11. Don’t care too much about what other people think,
12. Do consider the advice (and feelings) of the people who know/love you best.
13. Set goals regularly. “Realistic” or not.
14. Listen and observe.
15. Don’t be afraid to let go of friendships that no longer suit you.
16. Try new things, so you can…
17. Learn at every opportunity.
18. Getting older is a privilege.
19. While logic’s important, it’s not always appropriate.
20. Spend time with people/do things that make you laugh.
21. You don’t have to understand, but it’s important to try.
22. Being lazy = cheating yourself.
23. Take the time to nurture someone/something and see how it makes you feel.
24. Don’t be so hard on yourself.
25. Make sure your trust is earned; don’t just give it away.
26. Making a genuine connection with another human being is an amazing gift. Don’t take it for granted.
27. Appreciate every moment of happiness.
28. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being who you are. Nobody can do you like you can.
I sometimes let myself get sucked down into the mire of “UGH, I haven’t accomplished this yet. I am SOOOO far behind” blahblahblah. But really, when I think about it, I’ve met a lot of personal goals, and done things I never imagined I would. Life is weird. And sometimes devastating. But it’s also amazing. I have some wonderful memories, and I can’t wait to make more. Here’s to turning 28! 😀